Monday 10 December 2012

Suggestions for New Courses

I'm a planner. I like to plan far ahead. If I am at UTC next year, there is a gap in my spring 2014 schedule, leaving room for me to add a new course. I would welcome suggestions from you all on potential courses to add that relate to: American religious history, history of Christianity, and historical thought.

In the fall of 2013, I'm planning on teaching a new course on Global Christianity, using perhaps some of Philip Jenkins's books. Jenkins is our final LeRoy Martin Distinguished Lecturer for the year, and will be speaking at UTC on February 20, 2013. I hope to ask him for some additional titles to include in that course.

I am also planning on teaching a new course on Jonathan Edwards in the spring of 2014. Although this may seem like a narrow topic, Edwards has been so influential in American religious history, has written so many weighty books, and has been the study of so many excellent scholars (George Marsden, Ken Minkema, and Gerald McDermott to name a few), that I am convinced there would be a lot of material to discuss in such a course. But even if I add a course on Edwards for the spring of 2014, I still have one more slot open and I would welcome any suggestions you have. One idea I am considering is teaching a class on Women in Protestantism.


No comments: