Saturday 29 September 2012

Conference on Faith and History Meeting

The biennial meeting of the Conference on Faith and History at Wenham, MA (October 3-6) is fast approaching.

The student conference is first, and I'm proud to say that a UTC student, Jenny Edwards, will be presenting a paper on Thursday, October 4 entitled, "Miracles in the Modern World: A Case Study of Bethel Church." Jenny is a superstar honors student at UTC who is writing a thesis under my supervision on Bethel Church.

At the professional conference, I look forward to hearing papers from Carlos Eire, Mike Kugler, Ken Minkema, and Mark Noll (among others).

On Saturday, October 6 at 10:30am, I will be participating in Session #32 on "Print Culture in Early America." The panel will be chaired by Adrian Chastain Weimer of Providence College. Here is the lineup of papers:

  • Jonathan Yeager, University of Tennessee, Chattanooga: “Eighteenth-Century Evangelical Progression through the Dissemination of Books”
  • Samuel Smith, Liberty University: “Charleston’s Holy Club”
  • T.J. Tomlin, University of Northern Colorado: “Popular Culture and Religious Authority in Early America”
In participating in this panel, I wanted to support my friend Sam Smith, who has a book coming out in February with the University of South Carolina Press entitled, A Cautious Enthusiasm: Mystical Piety and Evangelicalism in Colonial South Carolina. I'm really excited for Sam and his first book, and I hope that it is well received.

Unfortunately, I won't be able hear Andy Tooley's talk on “Reimagining Religion: The Romantic Flowering of Transatlantic Evangelicalism” since his session meets at the same time as mine.

No comments: