Sunday 11 March 2012

Spring Break at Gatlinburg


It is Spring Break at UTC, and my family and I decided to travel to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge for a few days. When I mentioned to my students about our travel plans, half the class groaned. When I asked why they responded in that way, many of the students described the huge crowds, heavy traffic, and general cheesiness of the area.

After having spent the last twenty-four hours in eastern Tennessee, I understand the meaning behind the groans. I would describe Pigeon Forge as Myrtle Beach, but without the beach. There are tons of go-cart places, mini-golf, tacky dinner theaters, and wall-to-wall traffic. I wonder how a dinner theater that showcases a feud between the Hatfields and the McCoys or a lumberjack contest can stay in business. Gatlinburg is a little bit nicer, but equally crowded and touristy. Keep in mind, that this is my perspective. My kids want to move here permanently, or at least visit every weekend. They have ridden "real NASCARS" and bumper boats, eaten tons of junk food, and swam in an inside pool.

I don't want to complain though, I have to admit that driving NASCAR go-carts at 30mph is loads of fun. Without my kids I wouldn't have an excuse to do that.

No comments: